Friday, August 15, 2014

Five For Friday: Jobs I Have Liked/Loved

I've been noticing a rather negative trend in my posts lately, and I apologize for that. I am still dipping in the pool that is depression, fighting it tooth and nail, but with very little protection. I thought it might be a good time to post something positive, and since I am in search of a new job because I hate the current one, I thought it would be good to explore which jobs I have actually liked over the years.

1. Bus-person. It might sound weird, but I loved being a busser and a dishwasher in the restaurant I started my "real" work career at. I didn't mind getting my hands dirty, and I could lift the heavy bus-pans with no problem in those days. There was something freeing about just letting your body go on automatic and your mind with it.

2. Waitressing. I like people. Shhh... Don't tell anyone I just said that--I've got a rep to protect. But I really did like working with people, waiting on them. Waitressing took skill, and I was good at it. Organizing my time so that my customers waited the minimum amount of time for me was a challenge. And the money was good, most of the time. I'm not sure that I'm up to the physical challenge of this job anymore, though.

3. Stable-girl. I've loved horses since I could breathe, I think. I cannot recall a time when I didn't love them. I loved the smell of them, the sight of them, the sounds of them--the whole package. So, working as a stable-girl, even if it was just in exchange for free lessons, was amazing. Again, a very physical job, and one I don't think I'd be up for at my age.

4. Receptionist/Administrative Assistant. Oh, there were times I wanted to strangle my Avon manager, but in general, I enjoyed working in the office--answering phones, helping new representatives, and all the other daily office routines. I would not mind working in this sort of job again.

5. Bookseller. Bookstores, sadly, are dying out, thanks to online sales. But there was a time when such was not the case. Waldenbooks, B. Dalton, Barnes & Noble--they were everywhere, along with hundreds of little independent shops. I worked for B&N when they first opened a store in North Haven, Connecticut. I started as a bookseller, and before the official opening, I was already promoted to cash wrap supervisor--a minor management position. The only reason I left this job was because hubby was in the Air Force and once I became his wife, I had little say as to where we lived. There is only one tiny bookstore in my current town, so I don't think I have much chance of working there; however, there are a couple of stores within about half an hour's drive.

Wish me luck in my job search. I think that once I find the right one, it will certainly help my spirits to lift up a bit. As well as the last two jobs, I'm also considering going back to school for a degree in either creative writing (to teach, possibly in college), library science or book-keeping (yes, I know that's to do with money and not hoarding books). If I could get some sort of grant that would help pay the bills in the meantime, that would be awesome. Any advice?

No comments: