Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Word Wednesday: Intro


I have always loved words—the way a simple synonym can subtly change a meaning, the way they flow together to create new worlds. And yes, I was one of those weird kids in school that loved diagramming sentences. 

Word Wednesday is all about words--their uses, their misuses, their oddities and their simplicities. This week, since we’re just starting out, let’s define some of the words we’ll be using pretty regularly. Bear in mind that I’m not here to argue semantics (ooh! I’ll add that to my definitions) and any nitpicking will be subsequently ignored as I am a busy person looking for less stress, not more. My former middle school Earth Science teacher introduced me to the concept of K.I.S.S., an idea I have become more and more in love with each and every year since.

Semantics: The interpretation of the meaning of a word.

Etymology: The derivation of a word. A word’s “lineage”.

Root:  The base word from which other words can be formed. Ex: the root of “singing” is “sing”.

Next week, we'll talk about -ixes. You'll have to read to find out what I mean. :)

No comments: