Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Meatless Month, Days 3-5


Day Three: No worries--leftover pizza and leftover seafood salad for breakfast and lunch. The restaurant we went to for the awards served pasta and pizza and bread sticks and salad. I took the sausage off the sausage pizza, ate a spoonful of pasta and some salad, half a bread stick and half a piece of cake. 

Day Four: OOPS! So, I was pretty tired and forgot that my usual "in a hurry" breakfast of a bacon, egg, and cheese McGriddle had bacon on it until the thing was nearly gone (two bites away, bacon already on the way to my tummy).

Lunch was some leftover tuna casserole, eaten on the fly before running to get the kids from school.

Supper was fettuccine alfredo, eaten while on the phone with the warranty company, since our A/C unit decided it needs to be fixed already. 

Today, Day Five, I had coffee and a quarter of a piece of white bread toast with butter, stolen from my 11 year-old. Don't tsk me! It was from his fourth piece! Once I had him off to school, I had scrambled eggs and oatmeal toast with cinnamon apple jelly.

Lunch was leftover fettuccine alfredo.

Supper was a family favorite—maple salmon.

Recipe: Taken from my favorite recipe website, Allrecipes.

Ingredients:
¼ cup maple syrup (I use ½ regular and ½ no sugar to cut back)
2 Tbls soy sauce (I use the no salt added version)
1 clove garlic, minced or jarred minced garlic (1 tsp or to taste)
¼ tsp garlic salt (I use a dash)
1/8 tsp ground black pepper (I skip this or use white pepper)
1 lb salmon

Directions:
1.     Pour the maple syrup into the measuring cup. Add the soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt and pepper. (Allrecipes says to mix all the ingredients in a bowl, but why make extra dirty dishes?)
2.     If you use frozen salmon, thaw it in a plastic bag soaked in lukewarm water. Simply add the sauce to the bag and squish it around to ensure every piece of the salmon is coated. Place the bag in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, although if you prep this early in the day, it will not hurt the salmon to stay in the fridge with the mixture all day. (Allrecipes says to place the salmon in a shallow baking dish and coat it with the sauce, turning once during the 30 minute marinating process. I find the plastic zipper bag works better, allowing all sides of the salmon to become coated without having to remember to flip it.)
3.     Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
4.     Place the coated salmon into a shallow baking dish. Pour the rest of the mixture over the salmon. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until the fish is easily flaked with a fork.

Nutrition information:
Servings: 4
Calories 265
Total Fat: 12.4 g
Cholesterol: 67 mg
Sodium: 633 mg
Total carbs: 14.1 g
Dietary fiber: 0.1 g
Protein: 23.2 g

Again, remember that these numbers come from Allrecipes; I do not have a chem lab in my kitchen, no matter what my mother-in-law says. Changing things, like using no sugar syrup and low sodium soy sauce, will change the nutritional information.


Pics:



Usually, I have a large, glass lasagna pan that I use to cook the entire batch (this is a double recipe, due to popular demand). Unfortunately, said lasagna pan is buried somewhere in a box marked "kitchen" in the bowels of my garage at the moment. 

Ta-Da! Cooked maple salmon with white rice and asparagus. YUM!





No comments: